Film & TV Rants & Raves

This blog consists of my rantings and ravings about movies and TV shows that I love (or hate). I’ve studied film at Harvard, Boston University, and the Cambridge School for Adult Education, and taught film studies as well. I’ve got lots of strong opinions, so look for them here!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Juno Dodges the Little Miss Sunshine Bullet

I was nervous about seeing "Juno," because of the "Little Miss Sunshine" effect. That film received so much hype, awards and nominations - I couldn't wait to see it! I went in with high expectations, and was hugely disappointed to find that it was a very minor film, albeit with good actors, but in no way was it a Best Picture candidate. I am not sure Juno really is either, but it is certainly deserving of its Best Screenplay and Best Actress noms. It's a funny and touching movie that is sweet without being cloying. It comes at you sideways, the way Juno herself does. She talks as though everything is just rolling off her, and makes light of tough situations with her dry wit, but Ellen Page lets us glimpse her emotions and makes us root for this stubborn, hilarious, special girl. The soundtrack is excellent and the rest of the cast is brilliant. Loved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home