Film & TV Rants & Raves

This blog consists of my rantings and ravings about movies and TV shows that I love (or hate). I’ve studied film at Harvard, Boston University, and the Cambridge School for Adult Education, and taught film studies as well. I’ve got lots of strong opinions, so look for them here!

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Emmy Picks

With any awards shows, there is always what they will do, and what I wish they would do.  Here are my predictions and my preferences for the main categories at Sunday night’s Emmys:

Drama Series
My prediction: Lost – it’s just GOTTA be!
My preference: Lost!

Comedy Series
My prediction: Desperate Housewives – they’re on a roll
My preference: Arrested Development (DH is really a drama, not a comedy, people!)

Lead Actor in a Drama
My prediction: Hugh Laurie – he’s got all the buzz
My preference: Kiefer Sutherland – best season ever of 24

Lead Actress in a Drama
My prediction: Mariska Hargitay – she’s got the Golden Globe win and the buzz
My preference: Glenn Close – she was AMAZING on The Shield, catch it in reruns next year if you missed it

Lead Actor in a Comedy
My prediction: Ray Romano (those Emmy voters are sentimental fools)
My preference: Tony Shalhoub – he made me laugh hysterically during one episode of Monk this summer, I think he’s brilliant at the comedy AND the drama.

Lead Actress in a Comedy
My prediction: Teri Hatcher.  It’s just her year.
My preference: Marcia Cross, although as with Tony Shalhoub, I think she’s doing a great job with both the comedy and the drama on a show that’s a mix of both.

I’ll also note that I believe Lost will win the writing award – and you won’t find a more well-written show anywhere.  Only problem is, two eps are nominated – the pilot, which was of course incredible, and Walkabout, written by David Fury, former writer/producer/director of Buffy and Angel, as well as actor as “the Mustard Man” in the musical episode of Buffy.  That makes me love him, but truly, his Lost episode was so amazingly brilliant, I think he’s got an excellent shot.

E!Online has a handy one-page printable ballot here and a good Emmys section overall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home