Film & TV Rants & Raves

This blog consists of my rantings and ravings about movies and TV shows that I love (or hate). I’ve studied film at Harvard, Boston University, and the Cambridge School for Adult Education, and taught film studies as well. I’ve got lots of strong opinions, so look for them here!

Friday, January 06, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

I’m a horrible person who has not blogged in a long time, and should be taken out back and shot.  In the interests of turning over a new leaf, I am here to render a few brief comments on Brokeback Mountain.

I found this to be a beautifully shot and acted film that evoked one of the most painfully sad love stories I think I’ve ever seen.  It was more romantic and loving than most depictions of heterosexual love onscreen, by a long shot.  

I wonder – I’ve told some skeptical people that it’s just a love story, plain and simple – like any other.  But am I being (unintentionally) bigoted when I say that?  It’s not just a love story like any other, because it’s about the specific circumstances of being gay in a closed-minded community, and the pain these men must endure because they love each other but cannot make a life together.  

It is definitely a beautiful, sad, unique film, and one that deserves to be seen by many people – especially those who are least likely to go.

Note: I’m glad that Heath Ledger is getting awards and nominations, but I feel that Jake Gyllenhal deserves kudos too.  Happy that he just got a SAG award nomination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home