Film & TV Rants & Raves

This blog consists of my rantings and ravings about movies and TV shows that I love (or hate). I’ve studied film at Harvard, Boston University, and the Cambridge School for Adult Education, and taught film studies as well. I’ve got lots of strong opinions, so look for them here!

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Lost - Candy Bars and Polar Bears

So many questions!  How did Desmond get in the hatch?  How long has he been there?  Who is this “him” that he’s been waiting for? What’s the punchline to, “What did one snowman say to the other snowman?”

Actually, according to numerous joke web sites, the answer to that last one is, “Can you smell carrots?”  But the other questions remain unanswered.  Another riveting episode, although I have to say, I wasn’t that enthralled with Michael’s flashback story.  I mean, obviously it was meant to make us realize how much he loves Walt and why he’s so determined to get him back.  But didn’t we know that already?  I did not feel that it was nearly as insightful as most of the other back stories.  I read somewhere that originally they had intended for it to be Locke’s back story, which undoubtedly would have been fascinating, and would have made more sense because the previous week was about Jack, and the two of them are so opposite – but they changed it, probably because they wanted to focus on the guys out at sea.

Speaking of which, this episode had some great funny moments.  
Sawyer to Michael as they are arguing: “What are you gonna do, splash me?”
Sawyer to Michael after he pried the bullet out of his own shoulder: “You got a band-aid?”
Locke to Desmond when he asks who’s coming down the hatch now: “That would be Jack.”

Sharks.  I know I’m going to have nightmares about that part.  Get your freakin’ legs and arms out of the water, Sawyer!  I thought that when Sawyer was trying to save Michael, and yelling, “Mike, Mike!” over and over, that was terrific.  The real Sawyer shining through.  Of course, then they both started blaming each other and acting like stubborn jerks.  But again, when Sawyer woke up in the morning and saw that Michael was crying, you could see his sympathy.  

And how freaky was that when Jin came stumbling out of the jungle screaming?  Man.  These others are so disturbing – it looks like we’re going to find out more about them – and apparently they’ve got at least one person from the back of the plane!  Cool. Can’t wait until next week.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home