Film & TV Rants & Raves

This blog consists of my rantings and ravings about movies and TV shows that I love (or hate). I’ve studied film at Harvard, Boston University, and the Cambridge School for Adult Education, and taught film studies as well. I’ve got lots of strong opinions, so look for them here!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Gilmore Valentine

It’s tough to be a New Englander and watch this show sometimes.  They always get the details wrong!  For example, the description Lorelai had of the Vineyard as a former whaling town was actually Nantucket!  And when they went to the gym - I'm sure they have gyms on the Vineyard, but they probably don't look like that!

Other details were off too, although I argued with myself over the fact that Luke had never eaten lobster.  I could almost buy that it fit the character.  But then again, Luke is a cook.  And in an episode from last season, he took over cooking gourmet-style for Sookie at the inn, so it seems kind of unlikely that he would never have encountered lobster before.
 
I found Rory to be acting very superficially.  Just taking all these riches for granted. As an astute friend of mine (who happens to work at the WB) pointed out, “Six weeks in Asia like it's no big deal?  Gourmet cooking like she didn't grow up with tater tots and pop tarts?  Whose money is she spending - Christopher's or Logan's?” I totally agree - suddenly Rory knows how to cook?  And more importantly, WANTS to cook?  Also, good question on the money.  I always found it a little too convenient that she had these wealthy grandparents - but that worked for the whole Gilmore dynamic, the strain between Lorelai and her parents, her desire to escape from their world.  But nowadays - between Rory’s filthy rich boyfriend and her suddenly filthy rich father...it's all just too much.

I did think it was good when Mitchum showed up and found Lorelai and Luke in bed, and then reamed Logan out.  Good drama.  I ALMOST felt sorry for Logan. 
 
But - another thing that bothered me was that Lorelai didn't realize that there was no way Luke and Logan had time to go out and buy that jewelry - or that she didn't wonder where exactly on the island they would have gone.  Obviously, that lie is going to come back and bite Luke in the bum.  When will TV characters ever learn??


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home